The inspection form has a voluntary Best Practices Management (BPM) program.  If you agree to the BPM program, you agree to immediately re-queening your hives if the marked queen is not found.  BPM also includes a recommended provision about re-queening every six months unless there is a marked queen AND you have a bill of sale from a EHB queen producer.  Read before you sign.  

I had my hives inspected on Monday.  The Inspector pre-filled "YES" for me to sign up for the BPM program; I made her change the form to "NO".    Good luck!

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spoke with Caitlin... At this point, in these regulations, agreeing to BPM is only saying that yes, you understand their recommendations. It is not a requirement to follow their recommendations... 

Lee

Bring this petition to the meetings all of them and get Al to introduce the petition at every meeting.

jay

Bill Edmonds said:

Nice! 

Lee Wisnioski said:

Purposed Petition

To whom it may concern:

Recently it was brought to the attention of the Palm Beach Bee Keeper’ association that the state of Florida is considering legislation which would allow an inspector to label a hive “Africanized” simply by its level of aggression.  Then having labeled the hive as “Africanized” would insist that the hive be re-queened. 

Furthermore, the state is considering legislation that would require registered beekeepers to re-queen their hive annually or semi-annually.

We believe that these proposals would be a mistake and would in fact increase the number of aggressive hives rather than decrease them for the following reasons. 

It is not possible to accurately access the genotype of a honeybee by observation                alone.  It requires extensive laboratory testing.  And at this point in time the majority of honeybees in South Florida have some African genes.

European honeybees can be aggressive at times.  The most common example is when queen less.

By forcing beekeeper to re queen hives with known hygienic queens the state would be setting up the next generation to be hybridized.  This hybridized generation from a hygienic queen and most likely African drone would be more aggressive.   

Yes but susan these people will flip on you without warning
Susan Lerner said:

I spoke with Caitlin... At this point, in these regulations, agreeing to BPM is only saying that yes, you understand their recommendations. It is not a requirement to follow their recommendations... 

Personally, I wish to read the Proposed Legislation before signing a petition opposing the legislation that I have not read.

I have brought this petition up to the Board.   There response was that we are primarily an educational  organization not a political one.  

I have to agree with them.  I also think that what I wrote in the petition is accurate.  

And I agree with Mark that waiting to see what laws are proposed is a safer tactic.  Therefore we need someone to to monitor and report back to those of us who are interested in it.  

Any volunteers?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Build The Bee Lab

Help Build the Bee Lab for research and education. It will be located in Gainesville, FL. Save The Bees! Every dollar counts.

Events

Swarm Catchers

To join the group "Swarm Catchers" go to Groups 

click on the group swarm catchers

click on join this group

http://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.com/groups

2017 Swarm Box Location

© 2017   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service