Constitution of the Palm-Beach County Beekeepers Association
Article 1: Name
- The name of this organization shall be the Palm Beach County Beekeepers Association (the Association).
- The Association is a non-profit organization.
Article 2: Principle Business Location
The Association's principal office shall be located at 6231 PGA Blvd. Suite 104-237 Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. 33410
Article 3: Purpose
The purpose of the Association shall be to:
- Promote the common interests and general welfare of beekeeping.
- Act as an educational resource in the development and promotion of beekeeping and its methods to the public and community and foster the best practices and techniques in apiary management.
- Act in the interest of domesticated bees and their beekeepers in protecting and conducting beekeeping affairs.
- Act as the representative of the Palm Beach County Beekeepers Association members before State, and National beekeeping organizations.
- Encourage all members to interact positively and pro-actively with State of Florida apiary officials, commercial beekeepers, beekeeping supply houses, federal agricultural officials, university researchers, and the elected representatives and citizens of the region centered around Palm Beach County, Florida.
Article 4: Membership
- The Association shall be composed of individuals interested in promoting the art and skill of beekeeping and assisting the Association in carrying out its purpose.
- Members of the Association shall consist of the following classes: Active, Associate, Honorary, and Junior (under 18).
- An Active member is a current dues-paying member. Active members have the ability to vote on issues.
- An Associate member is a member of another local, state, or federal organization. They do not have voting rights.
- The Board of Directors may, by majority vote, confer Honorary membership upon an individual in recognition of services to the Association or to the beekeeping industry. They do not have voting rights.
Article 5: Dues
- The annual dues for membership in the Association is twenty dollars ($20.00) per year paid to the Treasurer. This shall be adjusted by a majority vote of the membership as deemed necessary. This sum will cover one membership, one family vote per household and each membership will be entitled to cast one vote at Association meetings.
- The membership year shall be from January 1 to December 31 of each year.
- Dues-paying members may vote at all general membership meetings in person, via live teleconference, video conference, email, or by written, signed proxy on agenda items.
- The annual dues shall be payable at the January meeting of each year. A member becomes delinquent if dues are unpaid by the March meeting.
Article 6: Board of Directors
- The elected officers of the Association shall constitute a Board of Directors.
- Meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the Secretary on the request of the President or a majority of the Board of Directors. lf the Secretary is not available the President may call directly for a meeting. A meeting may also be called by 25% of the dues-paying members.
- A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Every decision made by a majority of the directors at a duly held meeting at which a quorum is present shall be regarded as an act of the Board of Directors.
Article 7: Duties of the Officers
- The officers of the Association shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. All officers shall be elected by a majority vote by the membership.
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of the regular meeting and board meetings and send copies of the minutes to the Board of Directors before the next regular meeting. The Secretary shall be prepared at all times to make such report as requested by the President.
- The Treasurer duties shall include the following:
- Have charge of all the Association's funds.
- Keep an accurate record of all monies received and expended in books provided.
- Deposit funds in the name of the Association in a depository approved by the Board of Directors under the direction of the Board of Directors.
- Present at each meeting or whenever requested by the Directors a detailed account showing the exact financial condition of the Association.
- Furnish to the Recording Secretary at each meeting of the Board of Directors an itemized report of all financial transactions since the previous meeting of the Board.
- Submit all records for audit in time for the auditor's report to be presented at the Annual Meeting in October and at any other time required by the President.
- Money expenditures shall be cosigned by a cosigner.
0.The Vice President shall:
- Preside in the absence of the President or because of the inability of the President to preform the duties.
- Preform such duties as may be assigned to him by the
- President or Board of Directors.
0.The President shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Association and of the Board of Directors.
- Appoint all standing committee chairpersons such as Hospitality Committee chairperson, Welcome Committee chairperson, and committee chairpersons.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- In the event of a vacancy of the Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer the remaining board shall appoint a successor to fill the remaining term.
- The Board of Directors shall:
- Have general supervision of the affairs of the Association;
- Fix the date, hour, and place of the meetings and formulate the policies of the Association
- Consider and approve applications for new members
- Fill all vacancies of elected officers except that of President
- Approve all expenditures up to $300.00, and submit for the approval of the general membership any expenditure in excess of $300.00
- A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
Article 8: Meetings
- The regular meeting of the Association shall be held monthly at a date, hour, and place as fixed by the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer's Annual Financial Report shall be presented at the October meeting.
- The November meeting will be designated for purposes of electing officers.
- All meetings of the Board of Directors and of the Association shall be conducted according to Robert's Rules of Order.
Article 9: Special Meetings
- Special meetings of the Association may be called at the request of the President or a majority of the Board of Directors, which will instruct the Secretary to issue the call.
- Calls for special meetings shall state the place and the time of the meeting, and briefly state the purpose for which the meeting is called. No other subjects other than those stated shall be taken up at said meeting.
- All members of the Association shall be notified not less than two (2) weeks prior to the date set for the meeting of the meeting’s date, time, and location.
Article 10: Finances
- All money or property of the Association or which may be acquired by the Association shall be under the control and direction of the Board of Directors who shall require an adequate system of collecting, dispersing and accounting of funds.
- The Board of Directors may require the posting of a bond or surety by persons handling the finances or assets of the Association.
- No part of the net earnings of the Association shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons except that the Association shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article 3 above.
Article 11: Elections
- Elections of Board of Directors will be held at the November meeting.
- Nominations for Board of Directors will be taken from the membership thirty (30) days prior to the elections.
- Further nominations may be made from the floor.
- Election shall be by ballot; a majority of votes being cast is required to elect.
- The term of officers is from January 1st to December 31st.
- No person shall occupy more than one office at one time.
Article 12: Amendments
- This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members.
- 30 day notice shall be given to the members in regards to changes to the Constitution.
Dated this 29th day of June 2015.
Posted on May 25, 2017 to proposed Constitution