Palm Beach County Beekeepers Association Regular Meeting
Date: Friday March 01, 2013, 7:00 pm
President: Al Salopek
Vice President: Al Vazquez
Secretary: Alexandra V. Kaufman
Treasurer: Nedra Obradovich (absent)
1.) Minutes: January meeting minutes have not been approved because they have not been posted on the website.
2.) Treasure's report: (Amount available at monthly meeting). Our funds continue to grow. There was approximately $6,000.00 in sales at the South Florida Fair this year.
3.) Old Business:
4.) New Business:
A. Palm Beach Beekeepers Conference: Saturday, April 13, 2013 Discussion::
At this time the club has approved $6,000 in funds for conference. However, we do not have notable speakers from out of state available. We have Jeanette Klopchin from UF Gainesville, confirmed. Al Salopek raised the following question to members:
- The conference faces some disadvantages such as; weather conditions, spring time very busy for beekeepers, unavailable speakers from out of state, need for more time to dedicate to it, etc.
- Al Vazquez, Vice President, suggested moving conference to later in the year. We could have more student participation during summer as they are out of school.
- Should the Association lower its financial exposure by lowering registration fees to $25.00 per person and have hats, veils, and books at additional cost to the participant (a la carte)?
- Should we have classes periodically on Saturdays? Half of fees would be for instructor, the other half would be a donation to the Association.
- Pine Jog Environmental Education Center use of classroom facilities costs between $800 and $1,000 a day.
- Al Salopek envisions the use of Pine Jog Environmental Education Center as a venue for ongoing education to the public about bees.
- Members voted positively to bring in notable speakers and have workshops throughout the year in lieu of a formal conference.
B. Beginners Class: 9:00 a.m., Saturday, March 9, 2013 - available for people that can not attend the evening meetings, (note: we have not had time to advertise since it is being conducted next Saturday). The advantage of this is we would not have to pay the facility fee since this class would be outside. This workshop will be held most of the day, will set-up up to 10 hives and will perform cut-outs and splits.
C. Bee Conference: St. Augustine, FL: Master Beekeeper Program: March 7, 2013, Bee College: March 8 - 9, 2013. - Jim Chapman will be attending.
D. Queens: Bob Harvey and Roxanne did not bring queens due to the coming cold weekend. Al Salopek will drive to Ft. Pierce and bring them in the near future (this Saturday).
E. Club's Apiary: It is the Palm Beach County Beekeepers Association's apiary, so feel free to visit and learn about bees.
F. New website: (palmbeachbeekeepers.com). Al Vazquez demonstrated the features of the new website to the membership. We will be able to develop:
- Groups - social networks, ex: bee removal, queen rearing, etc.
- Videos - related to bees.
- Members personal page “My Page” - sign up and you will get your own page.
- Website costs annually approximately $300 and email addresses costs $20 per year.
- PayPal could be added in the future to enroll for classes by just adding your credit card or to renew your membership.
- This website has the capability of locking your page or leaving it open for everyone to view.
5.) Outreach Requests:
6.) Other business:
Close of meeting:
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: Alexandra V. Kaufman